At 8:27 PM -0500 4/12/04, James Sanderson wrote:
While upgrading my Wallstreet (g3/250) with a new HD (a Travelstar 20GB), adding memory (384MB), installing Jaguar, and changing the PRAM battery, I have encountered this problem. On start up I will get the grey apple start up screen but the moment it goes to the Mac OS X screen I lose the video. Sometimes I can see the ghost of the Mac OS X rectangle. Sometimes I can regain the video by pressing volume or the brightness controls; most of the time I cannot. If I can't get the video to work the machine seems to go to sleep and it snores, refusing to be stirred. Is there some incompatibility with the video card? Would an vid card upgrade be in order if there is one? I did try to get the machine to boot into OS 9 but OS X asserted itself. Would I be better off in OS 9 (though the machine handles X without any other problems, works quite well, actually)?
I like this laptop very much and would like to keep it in X because the OS networks so easily with Windows, the OS of choice at work.

This is a sometime problem I run into on my Wallstreet. It's something goofy with the power manager I guess. You should be able to get the back lighting on by hitting the brightness control on the keyboard. That's a start but doesn't solve the problem, if it goes to sleep the backlighting won't come back on. To fix it restart into OS 9, put it to sleep, wake it up and then restart back into OS X and hopefully, all is well.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA