I got the same model Lombard running 10.3.3 quite nicely. I've been OSX
only since Jaguar. In my experience, 192MB isn't enough for OSX to run
smoothly. I had 192 MB myself before OSX. (a 128MB+64MB). Upgraded and put
in a 256MB chip in the bottom slot and the 128 in the top slot. At 384mb
the machine runs fine. My system profiler can't ID the ram chip type but
its been running since 10.2 first came out.

However since 128MB is the "official minimum" I'd say the next possibility
could be a problem with the ram chips. You could try with just 128MB to
see if the thing at least boots ok (assuming you have a 64mb+128mb
config).

If the machine worked ok with os9 then there might be an odd ram hardware
compatibility issue.

The other thing of course is to make sure the chips haven't popped out of
the slots (known to happen and is worth a look).

Wish I could recommend a good ram testing/diagnostic software other than
techtool that comes with Applecare CDROM.