On Apr 16, 2004, at 9:00 PM, Jim Eddy wrote:

On Apr 16, 2004, at 3:30 PM, Al Poulin wrote:

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I would never touch any iBook again unless I had a warranty with it. The
problem is in the hinge design, not the MoBo, contrary to what Apple wants
you think or what many have written about. The hinge is very badly
designed, as is the wire bundle that is snaked through it to run data and
power to the screen. The hinge scissors the bundle repeatedly until it
literally starts to cut the wires. During this time you get the flickering
screen problem that Apple tech only ever advised the useless "reset the PMU"
fix. Once the power wire is cut completely through, ffft, a cascade short
that fries the MoBo.

Which iBooks are we talking about here, in terms of MHz and year/month of
production? Thanks,

The books under the recall program are from May 2002 to April 2003. I don't know which models it covers. I wish I did.
So I guess the question is how often do the hinges fail on the ibooks? Anyone have any kind of data on this? Or the motherboards? Or is it a matter of hearing about the ones with problems and not from those who don't have them?
--

Sorry, I don't buy the "hinge" explanation. If that was the case, why is that people can hook an external monitor up when they first start having problems, and have the same symptoms appear there? Since I happen to have one of the listed (700 mhz Icebook) machines, I have done extensive research on this on the Apple discussion boards, and the real issue seems to be with the video chip. This chip is located underneath the lower left "hand rest" area, right where it gets all the heat from the hard drive. If you've ever noticed, that area can get extremely hot! And as we all know, electronic components don't like heat. This excess heat is also the explanation for another common problem with iBooks: hard drive failures. I believe the cooling system in these could have been designed better. Most of the folks that have had video failures, have also noticed that they never hear the cooling fan coming on. And yes, considering how many iBooks that Apple has sold, it's safe to say that the majority have not had problems. I bought mine second-hand (out of warranty), and other than the drive dying a week after I got it, I have no complaints. Like they say, it's the squeaky wheel that gets the attention. However, if I had to do it again, I would have bought one with a warranty, just for the peace of mind. But I would STILL get an iBook!

JR