On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 01:47:58PM -0400, K wrote:
:
: > "[The Windows API] is so deeply embedded in the source code of many
: > Windows apps that there is a huge switching cost to using a different
: > operating system instead. It is this switching cost that has given the
: > customers the patience to stick with Windows through all our mistakes,
: > our buggy drivers, our high TCO [total cost of ownership], our lack of a
: > sexy vision at times, and many other difficulties. Customers constantly
: > evaluate other desktop platforms, [but] it would be so much work to move
: > over that they hope we just improve Windows rather than force them to
: > move."
:
: -- Microsoft C++ general manager Aaron Contorer
: <http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/0,39020645,39152686,00.htm> explains
: Windows' greatest selling point in a 1997 memo to Bill Gates.

Old news.  Among software developers, momentum is known to be very hard
to stop once started on the path of a particular API.  We saw the ruckus
back in the Rhapsody days when Apple tried to convince Mac developers to
switch from the Mac Toolbox to OPENSTEP.  How much momentum was there?
Enough to make Apple invent Carbon to woo unhappy Mac developers.

--
Eugene Lee
eugene at anime dot net