On 2004-May-07, at 09:19, Brian Braunschweiger wrote:

>>  Will a Pismo boot from an external Firewire drive with OS X on it
>> (specifically Panther)?

Yes, under Jaguar also. Due to a problem with some of the internals on my
Pismo, I had to install Jag onto my new drive (after I partitioned it),
and it will boot Jag or MacOS 9 off the external FireWire (by picking the
partition - can hold down Option key and select which partition, or use
Startup Disk to choose). And, you can boot Classic apps running MacOS 9
off a different partition from your MacOS X one (or I know you can under
Jaguar).

>> If yes, a follow up question is if I can use Carbon Copy Cloner to
>> simply move my present OS X to the Firewire drive and then boot from
>> there.
>
>Yes.
Glad Edward answered that one for you (I would have suspected the same).
Putting my .02 in for those who might be wondering about Jaguar (which is
currently cheaper to buy than Panther - or will be until Tiger comes out
for sale).

Jim Rohde