Paul wrote:
>Converting CD's to AAC eats a lot of bandwidth.
...Eats a lot of cpu power, not bandwidth, unless you mean the audio
stream is saturating the system bus. I'd find that unlikely in this case.

Richard wrote:
>I recommend
>running activity monitor with the cpu bar up so you can see.  My guess
>would be that if its just running slow while importing that would be
>the culprit since importing eats away at cpu resources and also hard
>drive bandwidth and seeing as I'm guessing you have a 4200rpm hard
>drive in there that doesn't help.

You can also renice the process doing the conversion to make it less (or
more) straining on the CPU. Usually works quite well, but isn't perfect.

In the terminal type: sudo renice 10 "iTunes"
(press return and then type your admin pass when asked)
to make app iTunes perform slower.

to make it perform faster you'd type:
sudo renice -10 "iTunes"

Fastest is -20 and slowest is 20.

The conversion may however need all the resources it's asking for, so
make sure to check the quality of the material at least one time. I