on 5/4/04 9:18 PM, G-Books at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 18:41:33 EDT
> Subject: Re: Apology and Clarification
>
> Geee.. Who the heck died and left "illovox" king of all things electronic?
> Seems to me that his attitude (and demeanor) are regularly more acidic and
> divisive than anything that Wayne said.
>
> Yes wayne's comments seemed A LITTLE BIT abrasive, but not overly demeaning,
> considering that enough people have been dissatisfied with the iBook to lodge
> MULTIPLE lawsuits against Apple. Seems to me that a few of his points were
> even correct.   However, to back him up, this was a SPECIFIC series of the
> units
> which had problems, and it is/was limited to a certain issue,which is being
> handled.  The broad tarring strokes of folks like [EMAIL PROTECTED] would
> paint such a dark picture that it could actually be construed as libel or
> slander,
> if the right lawyer decided he was in need of a new project case.
>
> What I don't understand is someone deciding that he is the final authority on
> the subject. I would never consider myself pompous enough to throw my
> thoughts around as lightly as some have here, and I've owned a couple iBooks,
> yea,
> even 4 or 5 Powerbooks. Some were GREAT, some weren't. My powerbook 5300 cost
> me
> $1150 when it was new, and I broke it the day I got it. My fault, not
> Apple's.. I DID send it in for the infamous REA program some months later, and
> they
> were very gracious to cover it, despite my own abuse of the laptop.
>
> So, Wayne, don't lose any sleep-you're being attacked just because you stuck
> your head above the waterline. There's always a neanderthal in the crowd who
> will take potshots at anything that moves.
>
> Tom

Blahdeblahdeblah...welcome to the Passion of Illovox, eh?  Oh, by the way,
you've completely screwed up the trail of who said what.
Credibility...SWISH!

As for Apple solving the problems with iBooks, read the lists on Apple's
site.  Laurent asked me not to comment further, so I'll let the numbers
posting there speak for themselves, and someone more distinguished than I
below, someone many in the Mac community consider a rather credible voice.

If you want law issues, let's discuss how you ripped Apple off with that
little 5300 REA scam you pulled?  Their graciousness does not excuse you
from having ABUSED the program, now, does it?

....could fit on pin.  Dig?

And as for libel...nevermind.  Maybe Charles Moore is guilty of libel too?

"The iBook Logic Board Fiasco; Still Not Over
 By: Charles W. Moore  on Feb 24, 04 | 11:36 am
 | Email This Article | Post Your Comments | Today's Headlines | WWDC |

I had hoped that when Apple belatedly addressed the G3 iBook logic board
failure (et al.) problem with its iBook Logic Board Repair Extension
Program, we could finally turn the page on this issue. A few weeks ago I
wrote a Road Warrior column to that effect, but it seems that I was a bit
premature.

 For some reason inexplicable to me (not that it's ever been easy to fathom
the Byzantine workings of Apple policy), Cupertino decided to only offer the
Repair Extension Program to a limited range of G3 iBooks built beginning
2002 to some cutoff point in 2003.

The iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program covers iBooks that have a
particular component failure on the logic board, resulting in the computer
starting up but the built-in and attached external displays exhibiting one
or more of the following symptoms:
 € Scrambled or distorted video
 € Appearance of unexpected lines on the screen
 € Intermittent video image
 € Video freeze
 € Computer starts up to blank screen

 The program is available for iBooks with serial numbers in the following
range(s):
 UV220XXXXXX to UV318XXXXXX

 iBooks with the serial numbers listed above may be referred to as:
 € iBook (16 VRAM)
 € iBook (14.1 LCD 16 VRAM)
 € iBook (Opaque 16 VRAM)
 € iBook (32 VRAM)
 € iBook (14.1 LCD 32 VRAM)

 For more information, visit:
 http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

 That would have been fair enough if it was only machines built to during
that interval that are afflicted with whatever the problem or problems is,
but that's not the case. I've heard from readers with iBooks both earlier
and later than the privileged serial number range specified in the repair
program who have suffered the all-too-familiar issues, and who are sorely
disgruntled at being excluded from the remedy.

 Thanks to Apple's apparently arbitrary discrimination, creating two classes
of iBook owners, the class action suit initiative launched prior to the
announcement of the Extended Repair Program has been revived, and
justifiably so.

 The BlackCider site, which has been coordinating class action suit efforts,
reports:

"We're almost there....Apple has announced a three-year repair program for
some iBooks. A significant victory for some iBook victims, sure, but Apple
still has a long way to go. One day they say "no known issues, the next
morning they offer a multi-million dollar recall  (oh, sorry..."repair
program"). Who is zooming who here?"

 BlackCider has announced a new class-action initiative for those not
covered by current Apple iBook recall, noting that:

 "Over 2000 people signed up and were interested in pursuing a class action
suit on this iBook issue. These people are the people who deserve credit for
forcing Apple to admit that they sold us defective products.

 "Our collective voice has already made a difference to many iBook
owners...let's push Apple the rest of the way. Apple's current iBook repair
'solution' is unsatisfactory. We need to continue to put pressure on Apple
to satisfy ALL faulty iBook victims with faulty motherboards.

 "If Apple's recent recall does not cover your iBook and you wish to join a
class-action suit to have Apple address your logic-board issues, sign up for
the new class-action initiative. Our attorney's are still willing to keep
this on their radar. This new class-action form is for those who own Apple
iBooks and are not covered by Apple's new Logic Board Repair Extension
Program ONLY."

 You can check it out at:
 http://www.searchrochester.com/blackcider/

 Let's hope that Apple will do the right thing and extend the Repair
Extension Program to all affected iBooks, rendering the distasteful exercise
of litigation unnecessary.

Charles W. Moore "