No, I understood completely what Timothy was asking. I was just addressing another poster's comment concerning sleep dying if you yanked the battery out. I'm very familiar with hibernate mode in Windows.

On Apr 29, 2004, at 12:53 AM, Larry le Mac wrote:

From: Phillip Burk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I too have been using sleep mode with my PowerBooks since 1998 (Wallstreet II, now 15" Titanium). Works great, you can leave it for an extended period of time no sweat. Also, sleep mode is handy for swapping batteries. If you do it quickly (less than 60 seconds I think but don't quote me on it) you can swap out a discharged battery for a full-charged one. I use this when traveling on airplanes and want to finish watching a DVD. Usually I can't make it all the way through a movie on one battery. I simply put it to sleep, swap out the battery and start it back up. Works like a champ.

I think you guys have completely misunderstood Timothy's question.

He's not asking about a 2 hour sleep during a journey or a 60s sleep
during a battery change, he's talking about what is efectively a shut-
down but without a reboot.

I have never heard of any mention of this on a Mac.

IMO not necessary as the Mac OS X.3 boots so fast...

Larry

Small Dog Electronics http://www.smalldog.com | Refurbished Drives |
-- Check our web site for refurbished PowerBooks | & CDRWs on Sale! |