From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mikael=20Bystr=F6m?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mac CD-RW Burners (For Powerbook G4?)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 02:10:27 +0200

So what CD/DVD-RW is possible and preferred to replace the one in the
early Powerbook G4's (400/500 and so on)?

There aren't very many slot-loading slim drives out there. MacResQ has them for about $149. That gets you a Matshita CW-8121, which is a 8x4x32x8 combo drive. Logic supply sells the CW-8122, which is a 16x10x40x8 combo. However, if you have the 1st-gen like I do, then the MacResQ drive comes with a bracket and the proper cable. The bracket for the stock DVD player isn't removeable, but it would be possible to fab your own if you can work with .030 aluminum sheet. I think the connector on the drive is in a different place, so you can't use the cable from the DVD player either. I got the MacResQ model, then later got one from Logic and replaced it. The first one is now a cool slot-loader in a Pismo. One problem with the faster drive, it only has a 2MB buffer so music CD's have a few skips if I burn at the top speed.
The good thing about both of these drives is the native support in OSX.

---
JSH
TiBook