The kind of CD blanks you use is really important. It is particularly important if you want your disks to play in some machine other than the machine that burned it. Here is a reference to a site where people spend a lot of time on this issue.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=33

See also these FAQs:    http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq07.html#S7

What you discover, reading this thing, is that there is a huge variation in the dynamic range of the recorded signal from disk to disk, burner to burner and speed to speed.

I now use only Fuji 48 CDRs and I burn them at 40. I can often get them at These are Taiyo Yuden disks (silvery greenish blue on bottom). Please note, that just because it says Fuji, that doesn't mean it's a Taiyo Yuden disk--but this model is. DONT get the "music cd" disks.

Rite Aid sells stacks for 18 bucks and 12 bucks on sale. I have used staples brand disks and other brands. They produce a coaster periodically, but the reason you don't use them is that invariably you can't use them on a machine other than the one you burned them on. And isn't that the point of disks anyway?