On 5/25/04 9:12 PM, "Michael Levin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I need to burn several CDs of pictures, music and documents on my PB G4 with
> Superdrive. I thought about getting a stack of 50 at Staples, but my friend
> who was with me said those CDs are junk. He recommended Imitation.
>
> I have never burned CDs. Is there are a good brand or bad brand on the
> market? How good are the CDs at Sam¹s? Is there anything I need to know
> before starting this task? My friend say I simply pop the blank CD into the
> Superdrive, select the music, pictures or documents and click Burn. Is it
> really that easy?

I've used Sony, Imation and TDK for years - as well as Staples generic. Last
winter my wife and I decided to send a multimedia CD to all our relatives
for Christmas and I picked up a spindle of generic Staple's brand because
after rebate they cost nothing. Got the rebate in 4 weeks and I burnt no
coasters. I don't hesitate to buy them - or any of the aforementioned
brands.

However, I'll also note that there is a bit of voodoo involved in CD
burning. While I've never had problems with Imation CDs, my wife's iMac (the
first LCD model) hates them. One afternoon while I was backing up some data
to CD my wife grabbed a few Imation CDs to burn some data to take to work
and she made 3 coasters. She grabbed a Memorex CD-RW I had laying around it
it burnt without problem.

Yes, burning a data CD is as simple as dragging the data to the CD icon and
then clicking on burn. (Though Apple's built in burn function seems a good
deal slower to me than Toast)