That's a pretty broad statement, Laurent. Can I clarify it a little bit?

You *can* use any 802.11b compliant WiFi router...if, and only
if...there is a driver for it, either from the manufacturer, from the
OS itself, or if a 3rd-party diver supports it. That applies to all
OS versions, but especially OS X. If you can find one that meets that
requirement, go for whatever makes you happy.

For additional features you may want in a WiFi router, please refer
to my comments in the previous threads:
"Wall Street, wi-fi, and OS 9.1"   on 6/15
"another wireless question"    on 6/16

A question for those of you using 3rd-party cards or routers -- would
you say that a person needs to be somewhat technically savvy to get
these to work (not a total Geek, just a notch or two above a novice
user)? I'm just curious. I don't think I would expect a fairly novice
user to be able to install the Sourceforge wireless driver in OS X
and be able to get it to work without help.

Routers are generally set up through a web browser, and don't need specific drivers. The wireless cards, on the other hand, do need drivers. Installation of the sourceforge driver isn't any harder than installing another program, but the fact that the troubleshooting steps are to install each component separately a number of times can be confusing. I installed it a dozen times and never got the Proxim Harmony card to work, but the WaveLAN Gold worked first try for me with my TiBook.

---
JSH
TiBook