On 24/06/04 14:51, "Frank P. Eigler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> I did the full command, copy & pasted from above ("system...Memory").
>>
>> Frank,
>>
>> I don't really know if 'system_profiler' is supported in 10.2.8 but if you
>> don't get any error, it should.
>>
>> Just try 'system_profiler', nothing else, and see if it works.
>
> Yup - gives me appx 200 (!) pages of info. Non man entry so I can't
> tell what the permitted arguments are for it.

That probably means that you didn't use the 'grep' command properly. 'grep'
is a kind of filtering tool. You give it an input and specify a text pattern
and it will return only the lines in the input that have the text pattern,
like in

ls -alsg | grep laurent

will return only the files/folders that have 'laurent' in their name. Of
course, you can use it with any Unix command that provides some output, like
'system_profiler'. To use another command and redirect (or "pipe") the
output to grep (or to other Unix commands accepting input), you use the
vertical bar "|", like I did in my example above. The command above says to
the system "execute the 'ls' command with the arguments 'alsg' and redirect
the output to grep while providing 'laurent' as an argument to grep".

So, a command like:

system_profiler | grep Memory

should return only the lines output by 'system_profiler' that contains the
word "Memory". Watch out for cases because Unix is case sensitive...

-Laurent.