At 9:17 PM -0600 6/25/04, Bob wrote:

Speaking of using a hotspot for email, it's been my experience that most of these locations will allow you to retrieve your email, but not send any. It's the same situation as an ISP that won't allow relaying to protect against SPAMers.

Typically it's not the hot spot but your own ISP. They won't allow access from the outside to their SMTP server. Most will let you log in to the SMTP so you can. Either by having logged into the POP server (by reading your mail) within a very short time or by direct authentication... You can set this up on your e-mail program. This will still work when you are connected to your ISP so you can leave it setup.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA