Last summer I bought a used G-3 Lombard (ApplePowermac G3/400 192/6gig/DVD/Ethernet 14"Color Display
Dual Firewire & USB) and I love it.

That's not a Lombard. That's a Pismo.

Problem is, recently it wouldn't boot properly. When I turned it on, the screen would stay black or sometimes would flash grey for awhile, like it was beginning to start up, but if it did boot all the way, it would lock up; mostly it just wouldn't get beyond the black screen. I could hear the motor run, but...

That doesn't really sound like a bad processor to me. I've seen those symptoms with dead L2 cache on a PowerTower Pro, but nowhere else. It sounds more to me like a damaged display cable.

So, knowing little about the innards, I took it in to the authourized Mac service center. I've been told I need a new processor card ($419) and some cleaning up done with the software; the price I'm looking at is $600.

Ouch! Don't let that place even come close to your PowerBook! You could be an entire replacement machine on the used market for that... CPUs on eBay aren't cheap, but they don't cost $419, either!

And you know better than anyone else what software you need and you don't. Don't let them "clean up" your software.

The Apple guy says I'd need a new hard drive as well to make it OS X compatable.

Absolute nonsense. This guy is scamming you. 6GB is a little small for a hard drive, but it will hold OS X just fine. You _might_ not have enough _free_ space left on the disk, but you can fix that yourself be deleting and archiving stuff you don't use anymore. You don't _need_ a new HD.

You can certainly do everything you'd like to do on your own, but I'll leave it to others to explain how.

Just don't let that shop touch your Mac again!

Peace,
Drew
--

Author of ClassicStumbler email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> web: <http://www.alksoft.com/>