> Can this be done only if the hard drive is, or has already been,
> partitioned? I had always been under the impression that OS 9 had to be
> installed first.

To make a new partition on your computer, without reformatting your hard
drive, you should check out this cool program called VolumneWorks. See link
Below.

http://www.subrosasoft.com/thestore/default.php

> On a related note, does Apple install OS 9 on all new machines? There
> were restore disks for OS X, but they didn't supply any for OS 9.

OS 9 on all new machines is for running classic only. If you have your
software restore disk, and you select customize, you will see the option to
install classic. Just remember all new machines only boot into OS X. I hope
you are not under the impression that by installing classic on your new
G5's, that you will able to boot into OS 9. Those days are gone.

Regards,

Aaron Willems