On Monday, June 28, 2004, at 09:46 PM, Andrew Kershaw wrote:

Classic is more like a Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) than an emulator. It runs a native PowerPC binary on the CPU, but isn't allowed to access hardware directly. That's why some of the older OS 8/9 apps that tried to take direct control of your hardware don't work in Classic but do when you boot a real OS 9 installation.

Well behaved apps use only the Mac OS APIs to talk to hardware (like using QuickTime to access capture devices instead of doing it directly). Those are generally the apps that run well in Classic.

Drew:

Is this why back in 2000/2001, I was advised to have OS 9 installed in addition to OS X? (I was a complete newbie to home computing and I chose the Mac platform, but was a little taken aback by having to adapt to two operating sysytems. I quickly left OS 9 behind, having no legacy software.)

I remember that OS X 10.0 was sold in a box with the OS 9 CD. Was the API issue being taken into consideration?

So, all I have that is incompatible with OS X is a collection of those Apple advertising demos that were played in Apple Stores on a loop. The installer requires OS 9. I'll try a custom install without OS 9 and see if I can get them to run.

Donald