--snipped--
Buy(sic) the time I got to the Start Install page, it was totally blank except for the
start button. The subsequent install progress display was blank. Also, the install did
not take place, it keeps crashing about a minute into the install...
--snipped--

Since I didn't see a response in the digest, I'll throw my suggestion in:

Sounds like: bad memory, misaligned memory or overheating

I would: (with Pismo off)
1) remove battery, external devices, unplug AC
2) remove keyboard, metal cage, heat sink screw
3) carefully remove top RAM card from CPU daughtercard- was it loose?
4) carefully remove CPU daughtercard/heatsink through lifting- was it loose?
5) carefully remove lower RAM card from CPU daughtercard- was it loose?
6) thoroughly examine the RAM- do they match?
7) thoroughly examine the chips on the CPU daughtercard- do they appear discolored?
8) carefully examine the pins of the CPU daughtercard- are any bent?

At this point, if nothing appears odd, then make your best judgment call on the RAM -
put only one piece of RAM in as you reassemble. The installer does not require any
more that 64mb of ram, IIRC, so it should be simple enough to put it back together
(careful with the pins on the CPU daughtercard! and it DOES take a solid force to
press it in completely) and run your installer CD again. If problems remain, try the
other RAM card by itself as well.

Do you have a Hardware Test CD for your Pismo? I'd recommend letting that RUN FIRST.

Good luck!

stein