On Saturday, July 17, 2004, at 12:44 AM, Joshua Braddock wrote:

The other thing I was going to ask is, if I save my money should I get a clam shell iBook. I would only want one just to have one. but.. anyways, I am rambling.. I am gonna go now.. LOL hrmm.. ~Joshua Braddock

Joshua:

If you don't have pressing needs for other necessities (school, health care, gym membership, rent, etc.), I'd say buying a used Clamshell iBook is just as worthwhile as collecting anything for pleasure. They're striking in design and are bound to be classic collectibles. If it's "fun money" that you'd otherwise spend on entertainment, I say "go for it!" So far, you can be sure that someone will at least want to buy the Clamshell if you decide to give it up some day and resell it.

Clamshells will be less roadworthy as programs and the internet become more demanding for better graphics cards and processor speeds BUT, you might find legacy programs that you can run indefinitely on them. (OS 9 and OS X still work well on the Clamshell.)

Some folks keep their older Clamshell iBooks in service as fax machines and many folks here point out that they prefer the Clamshell for typing/writing because the design is supremely ergonomic for a laptop. Great keyboard!

If you hunt on ebay, you'll find an occasional bargain for a Clamshell. Take care with buying one. Think: dead pixels or not? Battery life? Power source ok? Hinges?

There are a number of places out there where you can get a Clamshell upgraded with new media drives, bigger hard drives, or simply have them serviced when in need. This can extend the life of one. (e.g., Wegener media)Check out lowendmac for resources and of course, the good folks here can make suggestions and give advice.

You could write your first novel or screenplay on one! :)

Beware, the coolest of the Clamshells, the Key Lime, can be expensive. I have , however, seen the 366 MHz model sell at a bargain once or twice on ebay.

Congrats on your new 'Book!!!

Donald