I have a HD Bay Module and as only the G3 PowerBook
can add a 2nd HD on the DVD Drive, Apple made a little
support to that.
Jaguar had problems frequently corrupting the
directories of that HD. Ejecting the HD don't stop the
spinning and that's bad for the HD.
Panther fixed that.
Anyway, if the disc don't mount, Norton can fix that
with Volume Recover.
On the DISKS menu you will find "Show Missing Disks"
and "Add Custom Disks".
Norton will check the Buses and the Disk should
appear.
It's a Great Idea to use the "Norton File Saver"
application because it makes a helpful backup of the
directories, so you if the disk has another problem,
Volume Recover will search for File Saver files and
the disk will be fixed to a previous state.
Excuse me for me english.
Hope that helps.

<http://www.mail-archive.com/g-books%40mail.maclaunch.com/>