--- Laurent Daudelin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> on 02/08/04 22:06, Brian Braunschweiger at
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Firewire drive?

> I need to move Panther
> getting ready to sell the
> >>
> >> Brian,
> >>

> >> Download the freeware program called "CCC" which
> stand for Carbon Copy
> >> Cloner.  This great utility will greatly decrease
> the amount of time it
> >> will take to move Panther and everything else to
> your new drive.  You
> >> can this either via a firewire drive or through
> Target Disk Mode.  CCC
> >> can be found here:
> http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html
> >

> > I was under the impression that you shouldn't use
> CCC to move a
> > system BETWEEN machines - that at the deep and
> invisible level the OS
> > is hooked into a specific machine after an install
> and to simply move
> > it to another model (in this case an iMac 500 to a
> Pismo 400) things
> > may basically work but that I would be asking for
> trouble in the long
> > run.
>
> Hmmm, as far as I've seen, OS X installs everything
> to run the OS on any
> machine. For example, on my Pismo, I have all the
> kernel extensions for the
> nVidia video cards even though my Pismo only has an
> ATI Rage. I haven't read
> any report that the OS X installation on a machine
> was that machine
> specific.
>
> -Laurent.
> --

You are right.
OS X installs everything for every Mac supported.
I removed from the Extensions folder a lot of Video
Drivers not related to the ATI Rage Pro of my Lombard
(there are a few DVD related files, but they don't
work on Lombards, so they are history).