On Aug 1, 2004, at 2:42 PM, Jeff Hubatka wrote:

Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:03:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Alejandro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pismo troubleshooting

Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 01:00:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: Alejandro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

You have a Lombard wich needs a screen to work.
Well, you can place the Pismo's one.
This will be the faster solution.
Follow these steps:

http://homepage.mac.com/scadboy/lcd/

Anyway, it will be better to fix the Pismo, because
it's the only which have DVD Playback on OS X and has
a better Video Card.\

Pismo and Lombard do not have the same screens - the flat cable connectors on them are in about a quarter-inch different place and so do not match up correctly.

The screens aren't the same, but the LCD can be replaced. Check the page and you will see that the Pismo and the Lombard can have the same LCD (inside the cover screen). Apple changed some things, because they DON'T want users replacing LCDs on NON Apple Services. Instead of having cheaper prices, they replaced the connectors. Funny, isn't it?

"All of these panels are compatible with PowerBook G3s
with 14.1" Displays:"

- WallStreet (G3 233-292)
- PDQ (Revised Wallstreet)
- Lombard (Built-in USB)
- Pismo (Built-In Firewire)

You are correct in saying the screens are not the same, although I think you're talking about the housings.
The actual LCD is a different part number. I have taken apart quite a few Lombards and Pismos and can say from actual experience rather than someone else's web page that the LCD probably won't work. The flat connector that is part of the LCD is in a different place, so your flex cable from the motherboard will not work correctly.

While this is true, I have a bit of experience taking apart the display housings for this model of Powerbook. The LCD panel itself can be swapped, just not all the various parts around it, which makes it more difficult as the display housing is one of the more fragile and difficult pieces to dissect.

I am currently running on the Pismo under 10.3.4 and enjoying it. The tip given by Alejandro allowed me to reset the motherboard and get it started. More RAM got me into OS X and boy is it night and day between the Lombard and Pismo. :)

Regards,
Adam Thayer