I'm having a similar problem. Pismo froze, wouldn't restart. Eventually
after many resets, got the HD to spin up but no boot cycle and no video
(external output either). Bought an unused motherboard off ebay and
installed it last night. Dead as a doornail. 7 hrs later, saw 4 green lights
on the battery I used from this pismo, then it spun up like before--didn't
boot.

Below got me thinking "processor" so I put this one in to the dead
machine--still nothing (I suspect a wait is nec for something to happen with
power on and battery out, like my 1400 required periodically). So I put the
other processor in this one, and got same symptoms. Sure looks like I need a
new processor.

I might as well get a faster replacement (both pismos are 400s). But which
one? Is speed increase significant enough to go to OSX?

I will likely have a virturally new Pismo motherboard for sale too.