Mikael, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>Dan, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>
>>Pismo's (and 400 Lombard's) ATI display hardware _does_ include a
>>built-in hardware DVD decoder.
>
>What about the Titanium Powerbooks?

I found a clue:
"The RAGE Mobility 128 provides remarkable multimedia functionality, all
in true 32-bit color, and incorporates an integrated MPEG-2/DVD decoder
with iDCT and motion compensation, which enables full frame rate DVD
playback combined with very low CPU utilization."
<http://www.active-hardware.com/english/archives/arc8-2000.html>

It seems this is the actual video card in several of the early Powerbook
G4s and iBooks if judging of the specs at Everymac:
<http://everymac.com/systems/by_casetype/portable.html>

So the early Titanium models, the 400 and 500 at least, have hardware
acceleration builtin. I still would like to know what triggers the
hardware decoding, but I suppose I have to ask on a programmers list or
something.