On Aug 10, 2004, at 3:46 PM, MMB wrote:

Hi:

I have an Olympus C1400L digital camera which uses SmartMedia (3.3V)
cards. This is an older camera but takes marvellous images. It connects
to computer with a serial cable, alas, not USB.

I have a G4 867/Titanium Powerbook on OSX 2.8 (USB of course) and I want
to be able to transfer the camera images to it.

I do not want to buy a new camera. There must be a way to get those
images to the laptop -  which accepts PCMIA cards Type I and II.

Either one.

I have a noname 6-in-1 USB card reader I got for $30; I've seen them since, cheaper, but I have three digital cameras, each of which uses a different memory standard.

PCMCIA adapters are faster for CF cards, I think, and if you're not going to get a camera that takes different memory cards is the cheaper, lighter and more convenient solution.

My first digital camera used Compact flash and I got a Sandisk PCMCIA adapter for them for $8.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona