Maria,

Just another opinion...

My Dad has a Zio! USB CF reader for his G4 iMac. Works fine, but last I checked, he would get kernal panics in Panther when waking from sleep with the Zio! plugged in. Not sure if this is the case with SmartMedia.

Also, if you don't have any plans to use other types of media anytime soon and don't mind spending a few more $$, look into a PCMCIA adapter for SmartMedia. I think some are even 4-in-1. And IIRC, PCMCIA speeds are faster than USB 1.1? IIRC PCMCIA is on an internal ATA bus?

Hope this helps.
Shawn