On Aug 12, 2004, at 9:47 AM, Bill Buckhaults wrote:

Can this happen by forwarding[ by Mac] an infected attachment to a pc user??
Bill

Possibly. It depends on the person and their mail client on the other end, forwarding the e-mail may make the attachment harder to strip out and execute. But, that PC user should be running AV software.

(Note, my disdain of AV software applies ONLY to Macs; it is an absolutely *essential* piece of software on a Windows system.)

It still requires a deliberate act on the part of the Mac user.

Don't forward dubious attachments to people.

<sigh> might as well get the rest of the lecture out....

Don't open dubious attachments when you get them.

Don't open attachments you don't expect.

Don't forward emailed warnings about 'viruses that nothing finds and is so dangerous the FBI, Bill Gates and AOL have decided to rely on an email tree of friends and strangers to tell you about it...' messages like <http://tinyurl.com/6k6jl> and the like.

All windows e-mail viruses in circulation forge the 'From:' header, so if you get an email from your friend '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' saying 'Bill Gates says to please to run this important upgrade of the Windows' check the headers; a real AOL mail will originate at AOL somewhere, there will be a "received from:" line in there that mentions AOL.

(This makes things a problem, particularly in a corporate setting, since you could well see an infected mail come from inside the company. It still won't be from who it says it is, and if these things are going around your company, you have bigger problems.)

No current windows email virus in circulation actually contains the content it claims to have. 'HotNakedBritney.avi.exe' does NOT somehow contain a video of Britney in addition to the virus.

Therefore, double-clicking *harder* or *more often* will NOT extract that tantalizing 'HotNakedBritney.avi' out of the email.

When you click on an attachment, and the AV software pops up and says it's an infected file. DO NOT CALL your help desk and demand that someone come down and stop that from happening so you can see the important file it won't let you open. (True story, I swear to Dog, I got that phone call. No, it wasn't HotNakedBritney.avi )

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona