On Aug 12, 2004, at 1:55 PM, John wrote:

Timothy Luoma wrote:
On Aug 12, 2004, at 2:38 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:
(Note, my disdain of AV software applies ONLY to Macs; it is an absolutely *essential* piece of software on a Windows system.)
Only if one uses IE, Outlook (Express) and/or opens files of dubious origin.

Not true at all! My lone Winblows box got infected with Sasser, and I was NOT using IE, Outlook, an I didn't open any attachments (I don't do email on it)!

To be truthful, Timothy also said he 'practices safe computing' which would include keeping your systems up-to-date. Sasser exploited a hole that had been patched several weeks or months before the emergence of the virus, but you're right, one doesn't need to use IE, Outlook or open files of dubious origin to get infected.

--
Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'