On Sunday, August 15, 2004, at 06:28 AM, Thomas Ethen wrote:

I purchased a iBook 12" G3 and left it the way it was set up from the
previous owner, just adding my own software. Last night when I booted to
OSX, it had reset the dock and eliminated my new software from the dock,
even though it remained installed on the iBook. It also reset everything to
the old owners settings, such as e-mail settings and zeroed out my settings
on my new programs, like sites on Golive, e-mails in Entorage and custom
settings on Photoshop.

Any idea why and how I can get rid of the previous owners information
without clearing the HD and starting over from scratch installing all my
software over?

Something caused it to think it needed new prefs.

Go to the System Prefs and click on Accounts. Create a new account for yourself. MAKE SURE IT'S AN ADMINISTRATOR. Sorry to shout but that's a vital, vital step.

Now log off as the old user, and in as you new user. Go back to the Accounts prefs and delete the old user. You'll be asked if you want to create a disk image of their old file; I'd do so, just in case.

Now you're the user on the system, you can set it to automatically boot into your account , etc.

--
"Wherever you go, there you are." - B. Banzai, Ph.D.
Bruce Johnson