On a Lombard, I'd be tempted to go with Jaguar rather than Panther, unless you need the MS networking support that Panther offers. Jaguar was pretty stable and reasonably fast on my Lombard, but Panther has some RAM issues. I had to remove the RAM from the top slot to get it to install, and I'll still get some occasional weird crashes where the screen goes all wonky (technical term). Repairing permissions is likely to cause the same thing to happen. There seems to be quite a range of performance with Panther on Lombard, with some people unable to get it to work at all, and others having no problem. Quite a few seem to share my experience.

Laurent is absolutely right, of course. You want more than 128 MB for OSX in any flavor. Many people recommend buying from OWC, as they have good memory and support it well. (I didn't).

Cheers,

VJD