At 05:55 PM -0400 08/25/2004, bobgir2004 wrote:
    Well...think I found the answer to my own question, so I'll note what it
was should anyone else be interested.

    I tried another freeware app for waking up Macs on a network.

    Right up front in the ReadMe it noted:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Is WakeUp able to wake a machine through AirPort?

A: No, AirPort is disabled when the machine is asleep, and WakeUp can not
connect to it.

    There it is, right?

    I presume that Wake550 works the same way.  If the iBook is sleeping the
AirPort card is disabled and you can't wake it remotely.

This makes sense, no?

Makes sense to me. The point of sleep is to save power. Wireless interfaces are serious power pigs - so you shut them down. At that point, the WAP can xmit packets until it turns green, and the laptop will never see them.

- Dan.