Before you replace the motherboard.

Try this:
Shut down and unplug.
Hit the system thingy button on the back.
Boot back up and IMMEDIATELY reset the date and time (working with the date wrong screws up all sorts of stuff--I don't know why. Then check the port again.

If that doesn't work: Try the same thing but take the battery out overnight.

If you can't afford a new motherboard try a cheap OWC cardbus (PCMCIA) firewire card with two ports. Since you have an iPod, you can connect the iPod power cord to one port and then you have a fullblown full-powered firewire port for your passive firewire drive.