The National Enquirer reports at 8:22 PM +0200 9/2/04, Larry le Mac wrote:

>In an attempt to keep my Mac/ADSL online all the time
>irrelevant of net activity I have now set Network  Tool
>to continuously ping my ISP, seems to work...
>
>However, sending the 64 bytes every second, how will
>that affect performance ?
>
>I have a 512k ADSL connection.
>
>I presume not a lot...

It's not your performance that should be of concern. This is not said
in an accusatory manner, but it has always been considered very poor
netiquette to constantly ping an ISP. It will unnecessarily waste
**their** resources. There may a difference of opinion now that we
are in the paradigm of broadband connections rather than dial-up, but
I have not seen anyone voice an opinion one way or the other.

For pre-OS X, I have used StayOn! for several years. It allows me to
ping at user definable intervals. So I ping every 3-5 minutes which
is sufficient to keep my connection alive. Even then, I don't ping my
ISP (although I don't see any problem doing that at 3-5 min.
intervals), rather I ping a web IP like Yahoo.com.

I doubt that StayOn! will work in OS X, although I've never tried it.
If there isn't a similar app available for OS X, I'll bet it would be
simple to write an AppleScript to ping at set intervals.

My $.02 worth,

Bob