The National Enquirer reports at 12:00 PM -0400 9/5/04, Donald Keenan wrote:

>On Sunday, September 5, 2004, at 10:52 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

>How does the "National Enquirer" end up in the history of the replies
>as above?

You mean you didn't know that they have a reporter monitoring this
mail-list? ;-/

>Can one customize the way the mail in this way?

Some can. Maybe most can.

>I'm used to
>seeing "At 08:08 PM -0600 09/02/2004, Bob wrote:". is it just that
>"National Enquirer" is entered as a user name?

No. See below.

>I had to laugh when I've
>seen it in the past and now I'm wondering, how this was set up?

Well it depends on what email client you are using. I confess to
being pretty one dimensional when it comes to email. I started out
using Eudora back when Old Yeller was just a pup and I have never
used anything else. I don't know enough about Apple Mail App or the
other email clients that are available, to keep my feet warm in the
desert in August. So I can't tell you how to change yours unless you
are using Eudora.

But basically, that line is called an Attribution line or Attribution
string. Your attributing the subsequent quoted material to the
following person(s). You just need to find out how (reading the
owner's manual would probably tell you) to change it in your email
client.

I view attribution strings as inverse .sigs. You can make them your
own and personalize them. I simply added "The National Enquirer
reports"  at the beginning of my default attribution string.

BTW kudos for modifying the Subject line of your message and not
hijacking the previous thread. I know a lot of Internet veterans who
don't do that.

One final comment: Whenever asking for help or advice, always include
the pertinent information that will allow others to offer their
assistance -- application(s) if relevant & version; OS version;
hardware and model if relevant.

Hope I've helped some,

Bob