I wrote:
>>AFAIK, no first gen clamshell can use Apple's DVD Player (ADP)under X,
>>same as with Lombard the ATI RAGE Mobility chip doesn't support mpeg2
>>decoding
to which Mikael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> replied:
>According to ATI it can:
>" Delivering a complete solution, RAGE MOBILITY includes dual LVDS
>transmitters, hardware MPEG-2 decoding with iDCT..."
><http://www.ati.com/products/mobility/features.html>
Apple's RAGE MOBILITY implementation in their portables is an incomplete
subset of the chip's capabilities, as specifically mentioned in the
devnotes. What 'unimplemented' means exactly is a question for others as
I lack any more knowledge. However, I suspect . . .

>Are there other RAGE MOBILITY cards in the 1gen clamshell iBook? If so,
>why can't I find any info on earlier incarnations anywhere? That Apple
>doesn't support this decoding feature with the X DVD player is clear, but
>does the OS actually prevent other apps from using it? Can it perhaps be
>turned on somewhere? Does there have to be a VDplayer in the machine in
>order for the hardware (graphics card) MPEG-2 decoding to become activated?

that it's a hardware thing and so cannot be "turned on" by any software.

>>The gen 2 clamshells have the ATI RAGE Mobility 128, same as
>>Pismo, and so _should_ support ADP under X. Anyone care to confirm this
>>hypothesis?
>
>I can do that, but only with S-VCD as there is no dvdplayer. Or I could
>use an image perhaps.
So I'm not clear on your answer to the big question: Under X, does ADP
launch and play something/anything in a gen 2 (FW) clamshell?  You mean
you did try X + ADP and it successfully launched? Or you haven't yet but
are willing to try it?

If it did launch OK, even without a DVD-ROM installed, then any standard
DVD ought to play if you install a DVD drive. ADP checks only for
playback support AFAIK, and not for the presence of a DVD drive(?).

K, hold on, I'll test this last question myself:
<grabs Lombard (333 under OS9 w/DVD PCcard), pulls DVD EBM, inserts CD
EBM . . .>

OS9's ADP launched fine in absence of DVD-ROM drive. For completeness, I
suppose I should do the same with a Pismo under X . . . sigh

<grabs Pismo 400, pulls DVD EBM, inserts CD EBM . . .>
Yep, X's ADP launched fine in absence of DVD-ROM drive.

Yeesh! :-)

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700