on 08/09/04 18:58, WNK at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I just came across this in a thread by accident somewhere;
>
> sysctl hw.cpufrequency
>

> I entered it via the terminal and came up with a speed? of 667 on my
> 1gHz titanium powerbook.
>
> I read a lot of back and forth ( most posts were from 2003 ) some
> people said resetting the PMU made the number more accurately reflect
> the actual listed speed (do not want to do this). Others said that this
> would not return an accurate number no matter what. Some said it was
> totally worthless as any sort of indicator. Some said running XBench is
> a far better guide. This I did. Great results.
>
> As I previously said most of these posts were from late 03, I wanted to
> inquire as to whether or not anyone else has experienced conflicting
> numbers with ill effect or otherwise found that this is a generally
> meaningless issue.

On my new PowerBook 17", the same command returns 1499999994. So, it seems
to be accurate for me as the 17" is 1.5GHz.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

flowchart n.: [techspeak] An archaic form of visual control-flow
specification employing arrows and 'speech balloons' of various shapes.
Hackers never use flowcharts, consider them extremely silly, and associate
them with COBOL programmers, card wallopers, and other lower forms of life.
This attitude follows from the observations that flowcharts (at least from a
hacker's point of view) are no easier to read than code, are less precise,
and tend to fall out of sync with the code (so that they either obfuscate it
rather than explaining it, or require extra maintenance effort that doesn't
improve the code). See also PDL, sense 1.