On 09/09/2004, at 3:30 AM, G-Books wrote:

At times, when my isp drops the connection the Disconnect scrolling
message is seen to the right of the symbol and the phone line is
actually disconnected but the scrolling "disconnecting" doesn't stop
and it is impossible for me to reconnect unless I reboot the computer.

Is anyone aware of this problem and perhaps have a solution?  I first
had the problem when using 10.3.3 but thought that perhaps it would
go away if I updated to 10.3.5.  I have now done that but still have
the problem.  I am wondering if deleting a pref file might help.  If
so, where would that be located?
Thanks.
--
Emery Stora

Apologies if this has already been answered, but the (temporary, I hope) solution to this problem is an app called 'end hanging disconnect'. You could Google or check versiontracker for it.
Doesn't always work first time - I always have to run it twice - but at least much better than restarting.

        Good luck.