Bruce Johnson wrote:

On Thursday, September 9, 2004, at 03:08 AM, Stuart Saunders wrote:

Apologies if this has already been answered, but the (temporary, I hope) solution to this problem is an app called 'end hanging disconnect'. You could Google or check versiontracker for it.
Doesn't always work first time - I always have to run it twice - but at least much better than restarting.

<http://www.shopperturnpike.com/usefulsoftware/ endhangingdisconnect.html> I was on the right track, it does kill the pppd process.

The author also has an interesting comment, which certainly feels right to me...we have this sme problem on a variety of systems Mac and PC regarding our modem bank, and the phone comany has installed a lot of these.

"I suspect that this problem probably has to do with the phone company's installation of "MUX" (MultiPlex) boards along phone lines. This allows them to run more than one customer's data through a single pair of wires. Some modems are more sensitive to this "MUXing" than others, and unfortunately, recent model Macs are particularly vulnerable in this regard."

--
"Wherever you go, there you are." - B. Banzai, Ph.D.
Bruce Johnson

Had the same problem while I was away all summer back in east-central PA running 10.3.2 then 10.3.5 on the Pismo...was connected on dial up with ChiliTech as the ISP and Alltel as the phone co. Spoke with each and they blamed each other although I tend to believe ChiliTech's explanation sinced it corresponds w/ Bruce's comments. The real froster w/ Alltel was that they blocked acces to the Verizon 500# that would have enabled me to tap into my DSl line here in west-central PA...
Regards,
Mike K