Something I should have added, your wife should suggest to them that the school look into a site license for Sophos. Their terms are pretty reasonable, and their support is quite good, imo. They now offer an auto-update system for Macs and PC's (it used to only be for PC's), and they have e-mail system AV scanners and junkmail scanners for a variety of platforms. Scanning e-mail is a big resource hog on the server, but it's cut our virus problems by 90% or more.

We were using a McAfee product on our network, but it suxrox compared to Sophos. (and never had a Mac version anyway)

I know they've won our University-wide contract twice, and it's a pretty generous license; basically all systems on campus, and all personal systems of students, faculty and staff are covered. (This on the principle of mass inoculation to avoid getting a disease somewhere...make it free for ell the systems in a household to be virus free, we spend a lot less time putting out virus fires on campus.

Now if we could only get them to *do* it.

Our biggest problem is still ignorance...

User: "But my computer came with Nortons Antivirus!"
Sysadmin: "But then you never updated it since you got it last year!"
User: "I have to do that?"

Worse, new computers used to come with 4-6 month subscriptions to whatever AV software was included. Now it's 30 days or less, if at all. When Mikie Dell sells a computer for $3.47 above costs, there's not much left over to go to Symantec anymore.

If you HAVE to run AV on your computer, I do like Sophos.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona