The National Enquirer reports at 12:25 AM -0700 9/22/04, Amanda Ward wrote:

>Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent USB card for a
>Wallstreet running OS 9.2.2? I just need to be able to connect to a
>Canon i250 printer at work.
>I have a USB 2.0 card that works under OS X 10.0 thru 10.2 and on my
>dell notebook, but not on the Wallstreet.
>I'm using my dell at work for now, but really prefer my Mac.
>
>Thanks for any advice y'all might have!

Hi Amanda,
  There are numerous USB cards that will work for you. In case you
want the technical jargon:

The brand of the card does not matter, as long as it's
OHCI-compliant. (OHCI / UHCI are different specifications of USB.
OHCI is Open HCI, UHCI is Intel's version of USB. There are some UHCI
compliant cards on the market with a VIA or UMC controller.these
don't work with the Mac. Virtually anything made specifically for
Mac, or after 1998 is almost guaranteed to be OHCI v1.0 compliant.)
Most will not say anything about Mac on the box.

One point to keep in mind, in case you are not aware of it, you will
only be able to get USB 1.1 speeds out of OS 8.6 - 9.2.2, not 2.0
speeds.

Although you won't need this info, I'll include it for anyone else
who is following along. Those wanting to use a USB PC card with OS
8.6 (& maybe 9.2.1) need to download Apple's USB card support 1.4.1.
OS 9.2.2 doesn't need those extensions.

There are 4 primary concerns you want to consider:
1.) How many ports to you need/want on your USB card? (It sounds like
from your information above, that you only need 1 port now; will you
want more later?)
2.) Do you need a card that has to "fit" underneath another PCMCIA
card (like a WiFi card or a FireWire card?) 3.) Do you want to
connect directly to the card itself, or do you want a "dongle"  (a
short cable) to help relieve stress on the card?
4.) Do you need, or will you need in the future, a card that has a
separate power supply, since your Wallstreet does not supply USB
power?

If you only want 1 or 2 USB ports, the Macally UH-276 2-port USB 1.1
PCMCIA card is one of the most widely used cards for the early G3
PowerBooks. It will work with any OS from 8.6 to OS 10.2.x (I don't
know if it works with Panther or not). Chances are that the OS 9.2..2
drivers will work for you in OS 9, but you will probably need Canon
drivers if you want to use it in OS X.

This card was made specifically for the Mac, so there shouldn't be
any surprises with it. It has a slim profile that allows it to fit
under another PC card in the upper slot. It does have a dongle. It
does *not* not have a separate power supply. Macally does not make
this card any more, but it shouldn't be hard to find 2nd-hand on ebay
or the LEM Swap-List for under $50.

If you need, or want, more than 2 ports, or you really want USB 2.0
(to use in OS X),  the OrangeMicro 2.0 USB PCMCIA Card (4 ports,
power supply & 6' cable) works with OS 8.6-OS X. One caveat -- the
upper two ports on it function properly, however the two lower ports
on the card reportedly do not function in OS 8.6-9.1.
<http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10273082&sp=1&loc=101> ~$75 new

OrangeMicro has been making cards for Apple since the Apple // days,
so they should be a Mac-friendly company. I don't know what type of
profile the OrangeMicro card has, nor am I familiar with whether it
has a dongle or not. It *is* powered, as noted in the specifications
above.

As I mentioned, these are just 2 of many choices. I hope this
information helps.

Bob