At 8:47 AM -0500 9/24/04, D. G. Bowie wrote:
Hi,

I've been wanting to ask these three simple questions for a long time:

First, I use my G3 Lombard 400 MHz Powerbook as a desktop computer, seldom removing it from its a.c. adaptor. I've never tested its battery. How can I do so? Also, what is the best way to keep a rechargeable computer battery in tiptop shape? Is it a good idea to occasionally exhaust the battery, as I've sometimes heard with regard to portable phones and other household appliances?

Hmm ... testing the battery, using it perhaps. Make sure you have anything you want to keep saved then unplug the power supply. If it doesn't die immediately it should warn you when the battery is getting low.

LION batteries should not be deeply discharged routinely like NiCd batteries. The only time it is useful is not for the battery but to recalibrate the charge monitoring system. You only try it if the battery is showing abnormally short operating time. To keep the batteries in good shape keep them charged up.

Second, I use a USB attached mouse instead of the trackpad on this computer. Therefore, is the "trackpad" control panel still a necessary active control panel, in addition to the "mouse" control panel?

The track pad doesn't do anything unless you open it and then it adjusts the settings for the trackpad. In other word, Yes.

Finally, I've now graduated from serial printers, connecting my G3 to a USB printer (very fast). Is the Print Print Monitor extension still necessary with USB printers?

Print Monitor is only invoked if you print to a printer that uses it. The Background Extension is there to launch Print Monitor when needed but it is very small and doesn't take long to startup or use much memory.

These questions are part of my continuing effort to reduce the boot time of my computer. Thanks in advance for any insight or discussion.

Try sleeping the computer instead of shutting it down. It will start up a lot quicker from sleep than from booting up.

-- Clark Martin Redwood City, CA, USA Macintosh / Internet Consulting