At 3:03 PM -0400 9/28/04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
At 09:39 AM -0700 09/28/2004, Frank P. Eigler wrote:
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Dan Palka wrote:

That's fine and dandy, and I usually do say Command when talking to other
Mac users, but to myself and other non-mac users I still say Flower out of
habit. I like saying flower, and if it was up to me, I'd say flower all the
> time. It makes the Mac sound more friendly.

Haven't really followed this thread, but hummmmm. A quick ad-hoc survey of the people in my fav IRC channels right now (200+ people, both Mac and PC and general oriented channels)... Not even one person has ever heard that key called "flower". They call it either "command" or "clover".

It has been the command key for +/- 20 years now...

Personally, I miss the "meta" key. Like command, option, shift, and control, it was a multi-press modifier. Went by the wayside in the early 80s, I guess.

I've always called it Command since that's what the docs that came with my Mac512K called it. It wasn't until I started helping out at my daughters' school did I hear the term "Apple" or "Open Apple" used. The first time I heard it I had to look at the keyboard to figure out what what they were talking about. My own computer at the time did have both the Cloverleaf and Open Apple symbols on it but I never much paid attention to the Apple Symbol.

I read once, probably in "Inside Macintosh" that Apple choose the Cloverleaf symbol from some international symbol guide. It was a somewhat loose interpretation of the symbol's designated meaning using it for "Command". I have to hand it to Apple that they actually tried to make it standard.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA