On Oct 9, 2004, at 7:17 PM, Travis Martin wrote:

There's probably a FAQ or site somewhere that answers this; if so, please point me to it.

I just got a G4 PB and want to "import" all of my email & preferences plus Safari bookmarks etc...is there a way to do this painlessly? I know how to do my iTunes library; looks like they would have provided an easy way to do the rest. The G4 is 10.3 and the ibook I've been using is 10.2; is this going to work?

If this is a brand new G4 powerbook, you'll be asked during startup if you want to do this; you'll need a firewire cable to connect the ibook and the new PB.

The other way to do it is upgrade the ibook to 10.3 (you coul use the G4 PB disks) connect the new PB in firewire target disk mode, then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your ibook onto the new powerbook. the key to doing this successfully is to make sure the same version of the OS is on both. I've done this successfully on desktop macs, between a G4 and a new G5, and an older G4 to a newer one.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona