The briefly flashing screen, hissing sound, and uneven illumination suggests that your problem is with the inverter circuitry that drives the LCD backlight. If the other suggestions don't work out, replacing the inverter board might work ($84.50 at http://www.wegenermedia.com/titp.htm). Although the inverter is located under the optical drive in your model of PowerBook, cleaning fluid could have shorted the backlight connector.

Hope this helps.
-ben