on 28/09/04 20:04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On my old PB, under OS 9, double-clicking an older tax data file
> automagically opened the older/matching tax app.  But now under
> Panther, they all launch the newest app only.  I have to manually
> launch the older app then open the file from within.  How do I fix
> this in OS X?

Select on of your older data file, do "Info" in the Finder. In the window
that appears, open the "Open with" section tab. There will be a popup menu
there. Click on it, then select the item "Other...". Navigate to find the
application that should open that document. If you want all other documents
of this type to be opened by the selected application, click the "Change
All" button.

Know that there is a little gotcha to this. After some people theorically
demonstrated that unknown document could trigger the launch of unknown
application and thus, presenting a threat, Apple in one of their latest
system update did change how the application document setting works. You
won't be able to set all documents of a certain type to default to a
specific application of your choosing until you launch the application at
least once. Odd, but I spent about an hour the other day trying to set the
default app for a document type before finding, after trials, errors and
experimentations, that I had never launched this application on my new
PowerBook.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

cargo cult programming n.: A style of (incompetent) programming dominated by
ritual inclusion of code or program structures that serve no real purpose. A
cargo cult programmer will usually explain the extra code as a way of
working around some bug encountered in the past, but usually neither the bug
nor the reason the code apparently avoided the bug was ever fully understood
(compare shotgun debugging, voodoo programming).