Just like the subject says, my Wallstreet's LCD backlight won't turn back on
after it wakes up from going to sleep. I also have to manually hit the the
brightness control button (either bright or dark) upon each bootup to get
the LCD backlight going.

I'm running 10.2.8, and when I originally loaded the OS in, I didn't have >this problem. Maybe three months down the line, for no good reason, it >started doing this.

Wallstreet 300mhz, 192mb RAM, 20g HD, CD/DVD, OS 10.2.8

Reboot in OS 9, from HD or CD. It's the only thing I know helps.

That would be an option... if I had OS9 installed.

How do I revert back from 10.2.8 to something else? Can I undo those "automatic updates"?

I want OS9 installed.

Why I don't have OS9 installed:

I replaced the HD with a 20gig Travelstar.

So I had a completely new hard drive, and OSX discs, but no OS9 discs. I installed 10.2.8 to the first partition (8gb rule), and had another 12g partition.

I can't seem to get the 'book to boot from the OS9 CD, tho (yes, I'm holding the C key throughout the boot). It sucks, and I really want to be able to use OS9.

What gives?

Again: Wallstreet 300gHz, 192mb RAM, 20g HD (8g/12g partitions)