> > Is there an utility that'd let me do the Windows trick on Mac OS?

iKey can do a huge amount of automation. I used it for a little while, but in
10.3.x Applescript can emulate menu items; Applescripts can be launched
from many venerable aps such as iKey or DragThing. (Latter is how I do
automation.)

I dropped iKey for no particular reason; just had to make a choice.
DragThing and iKey each do a wider Keyboard Maestro and QuickKeys make
similar claims, but I've never used them.

Next major OS release, Tiger, is said to make it easier to automate than ever
with some kind of in-built automatiser, based (perhaps) on Applescript....

Cheers,

Erik