On Sep 29, 2004, at 4:08 PM, Clark Martin wrote:

At 3:29 PM -0500 9/29/04, Alan C.Magnus wrote:

Can you believe this? MacCenter is an Authorised Apple dealer.

I have a client who needed a windoze laptop and they bought a Gateway (on my recommendation yet). They couldn't ship it configured with a memory upgrade but would ship one and I figured installing it would be no sweat. It didn't work. Niether did the replacement. Nor it's replacement. It wasn't that they were bad as far as I could tell, just the wrong type. They never could figure it out.

Heh, if you were to swap Dell for Gateway in that story, I'd agree with you. That's an extremely unusual story for Gateway, who could actually teach Apple a thing or two for web support. (If you go to Gateway's tech support website, and put in your serial number, you will get a listing of everything that originally shipped with the system, and links to the drivers and other software. This works on systems that are years out of warrantee. )

They DO have the flat-out FUGLIEST all-in-one iMac competitor, in fact they've had a solid string of them one after another, but as far as peecee companies go in our experience (having bought some 4-500 systems from them over the years) they're one of the better ones.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona