on 30/09/04 21:49, Andrew Kershaw at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> Ran across a reference at
>> <http://www.accelerateyourmac.com/archives/sep04/091704.html#S18083>
>>
>> to using a Sony Vaio wireless card as a substitute for an Airport card.
>>
>> Don't know how available those Vaio cards are, though...
>
> Bruce,
>
> That story is nothing new.  In fact, it's been known for a very long
> time that any WaveLAN based card will work in the internal slot.
> Indeed, people have used this trick to supposedly upgrade Silver
> cards to Gold cards (AirPort 2 upgrades the firmware of the card to
> do 128-bit WEP).
>
> The trouble is finding a card that will fit when the keyboard is
> installed.  The VAIO card will fit if the antenna is removed.
>
> These VAIO cards are extremely rare (though I've got one! :-P) and
> equally expensive (more than the AirPort card).  It makes no
> economical sense to use one of these instead of an AirPort card.
>
> See
> <http://www.applefritter.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=hacks;action=display;n
> um=1076035912>
> for more interesting reading about the Sony card and AirPort
> compatibility.
>
> FYI, there are two cards that can be made to work: The PCWA-C150 and
> the PCWA-C150S.  As far as I can tell, the only difference between
> them is that one's antenna says "VAIO" and the other's says "SONY".

I think that the card Bruce was talking about was thought to replace an
AirPort Extreme card, not the older regular AirPort card...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

brain dump n.: [common] The act of telling someone everything one knows
about a particular topic or project. Typically used when someone is going to
let a new party maintain a piece of code. Conceptually analogous to an
operating system core dump in that it saves a lot of useful state before an
exit. "You'll have to give me a brain dump on FOOBAR before you start your
new job at HackerCorp." See core dump (sense 4). At Sun, this is also known
as `TOI' (transfer of information).