I was following the thread on SmartMedia cards.

I was wondering what you folks do when on the road in terms of printing.

I suppose my questions are:

-any good tiny weensy printers one can usefully take along? I googled for it and came up either with very expensive ones or very bulky ones, or both, or perhaps those needing proprietary paper like fax paper. Is there really nothing clever and spacesaving that can print a few A4 sheets when you're stuck in a hotel room and need to print out the latest version of your paper or whatever?

-I was thinking of getting one of those cute USB flash memory card that you can plug into your 'book and move your files there, then go to a print shop and have them printed. That seems a good alternative, provided one has access to printing shops nearby and that they accept such a medium (never asked or tried, so far). But: we have an external Firewire LaCie (one of the Porsche models) that we use for backup. Tried to take that to a print shop and their machine would not 'see' the drive, which came formatted from LaCie and I hadn't bother reformatting. Given that Panther recognised it without a hitch, I assumed (for some reason) that Windows machines would be equally accommodating. The 'net sites selling these flash cards (like Crucial) say 'mac and pc compatible'. Anyone has any experience of taking files on one of these things and getting them printed on the road without hassle?

-given that both our 12" Albook and 20" iMac G5 have Bluetoooth, I was also wondering whether one can get any of these cards with Bluetooth in them so that one doesn't even need to plug them into the USB socket? Maybe this is impossible/impractical, because rather extensive googling returned no joy in that department.

In short: I would be interested (and grateful) to know what you guys consider to be the best option for fully compatible printing when on the road.

Thanks in advance for all your fantastic tips and apologies if the questions sound daft...

Walter